Verschiedene Notizen zu Verkaufspreisen bei John Challis
The early pianoforte music of Beethoven, Mozart and Haydn was written for an instrument the tone quality of which was lost in the later demand for loudness. An instrument is needed to fill this important gap between the harpsichord and the modern piano having thin strings small hammers and a light responsive action. On such a pianoforte this music has the brilliance and vitality necessary for ist proper interpretation.
Pianoforte 6 ft. 8 in. long. Five octaves … $ 1800.00 [Handschriftl.] 22.000
[Maschinenschriftl.] Pianoforte 7 ft. 3 in. long. Five and one half octaves … 2200.00 [Handschriftl.] 3000.00
[Maschinenschriftl.] (Plus 10% Federal tax)
JOHN CHALLIS // 549 East Jefferson Ave. // Detroit 26, Michigan
v. Dr. Rück mitgeteilt 21.6.50
Verkaufspreise John Challis in Detroit
Clavichord 4 Okt. Dollar 850,--
Mozartflügel 5 Okt., 6 Fuss 3 inch. // (ca. 180 cm) 2200.--
5 ½ Okt., 7 FUss 10 inch. // 217 cm wie der Walter 3000.--
Auf diese Preise kommen noch 10 % Federal Taxe.
Lieferzeiten: Clavichord 12 Monate
Cembali je nach Grösse 12-36 Monate
[Handschriftl.] Akt: Kirckpatrick
[Handschriftl.] Harpsichord for Concert use - Two manual –
[Maschinenschriftl.] John Challis, Detroti [sic!] 549 E. Jefferson Av, Detroit 26 Michigan
Auf alle nachverz. Preise kommen dazu 10 % Federal Tax.
Ende Mai 1950
[Handschriftl.] 1) Two keyboards. Compass five octaves – Four sets of strings of different tone qualities, two of regular pitch, one an octave higher, and one an octave lower. Harp Effect on both keyboards – Seven pedals
Price $ 4300.-
2) Two keyboards. Compass four and one-half octaves. Three sets of strings of different tone qualities, tuned eight foot, sixteen foot pitch Harp effect. Five pedals operating upon the above effects. Two manual
3) One manual one keyboards. Compass four and one-half octaves. Three sets of strings, one of regular pitch (8 ft.), one an octave higher (4 ft.), and one an octave lower (16 ft.). Four pedals operating on the harp and above sets of strings,
$ 2300 –
4) One Manual, one keyboard. Compass four and a half octaves. Two sets of strings of regular pitch, but of contrasting qualities of tone. Harp effect- Three pedals operating the above effects. An excellent instrument fort he home, to accompany a violin, singer as Chamber Orchestra
$ 1600 –
5) Portable Harpsichord
The Portable harpsichord may be conveniently carried in an automobile. The tone is ample for accompanying a violin, recorder, singer, for the figured bass accompaniments in small string or vocal ensembles. For solo performance in chamber music halls it is very satisfactory. One keyboard. Compass four octaves and three notes. Width 29 inches, length 53 inches. On set of strings of regular pitch. Two pedals controlling the volume of tone and the harp effect.
$ 1100 – two pedals
900 – without pedals
6) Petit Harpsichord with pedals
$ 700 – withpout pedals
$900,- two pedals
7) the Clavichord four octaves $ 850 –
8) Mozart Pianoforte.
A pianoforte constructed especially for the music of Mozart and Haydn having thin strings, small hammers and a light responsive action- The tone quality reminds one of orchestral strings and woodwinds. Though the volume of tone is only half that of the twentieth century pianoforte it has a large dynamic range. - damper and Una Corda pedals.
$ 2200 – 5 Oktaven (6 Fuss inches/ $ 3000 – 5 ½ Okt. (7 Fuss 10 inches [)]".